We had a great time this past weekend with the other clubs at the AAF District 3 Leadership Conference. Even though our friends have left, we wanted to share a little more of the star city with them.
Lib Wilhelm, arguably one of Roanoke’s most well-known caterers, was famous for a recipe that not many people outside of our region know about: cheese slaw.
When I meet someone new to town, one of my first questions is always “Have you had cheese slaw?” After they say no, I show up a few days later with a full container and a recipe card.
Here’s my modified version of Lib’s recipe.
- 1 lb. shredded swiss cheese
- 1 bundle of chopped green onions (don’t forget the tops!)
- ½ cup chopped fresh banana peppers
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh jalapeno peppers
- mayonnaise (use a neutrally flavored one)
- Shred and chop all of the ingredients.
- Dump everything into a large bowl and gradually add mayonnaise, mixing thoroughly each time (you want the mixture to be wet enough to hold together so it can be spread on a cracker).
I don’t know how long cheese slaw stays good in the refrigerator (mine never lasts that long!), but if it’s in there for a few days, you may need to mix in a touch more mayonnaise to bring it back to life.