ROANOKE, Va. (February 26, 2021) –– The best of advertising was honored Thursday at the Western Virginia American Advertising Virtual Awards Gala in Roanoke.
The 2021 competition had 95 professional entries from 23 agencies, firms, in-house creatives, and individuals as well as 67 student entries from Virginia Tech, Liberty University, Radford University, and Virginia Western Community College.
Virginia Tech took home the top professional honor of the year, the Howard Packett Award for Creative Excellence (AAF Roanoke’s Best in Show) for AIGA Get Out the Vote: To not speak is to speak.The campaign also won a Gold ADDY Award in the Political Out-of-Home and Ambient Media category. Work on the project is credited to Meaghan A. Dee, designer and illustrator.
5Points Creative took home the Best of Digital award, for the Gregory Pallet & Lumber website. The team for that project included Aaron Kelderhouse, creative direction, design and site build; Molly Doyle, videography and photography; Zion Stores, site build; and Brad Boothe, digital director.
The Best of Print award went to Virginia Tech for Eastern Divide Brewing Co. Labels. The team behind the project included Meaghan A. Dee, designer and illustrator, and Brandon Roberson, brewer and sign-painter.
The Best of Electronic award went to Virginia Tech Dining Services for Chili Challenge animation. The team behind the project included Darren Van Dyke, photographer/videographer; Joy Blackburn, graphic designer; and Victoria Boatwright, marketing and communications manager.The American Advertising Awards is the advertising industry’s largest and most representative competition, attracting more than 40,000 entries every year in local competitions. AAF Roanoke’s Western Virginia American Advertising Awards competition is the first of a three-tier, national competition. Concurrently, across the country, local entrants vie to win ADDY Awards—recognition as the very best creative work in their markets. At the second tier, local ADDY winners compete against winners from other local clubs in one of 15 district competitions. District ADDY winners are then forwarded to the third tier, the national stage of the American Advertising Awards. Entry in the local competition is the first step toward winning a National ADDY.
AAF Roanoke was also proud to award two special awards to leaders in the advertising and marketing industry. New this year, the Roanoke Shine Award for Public Service was given to Michael Hemphill of Buzz4Good. Advertising Person of the Year was given to Jeff Joiner of Virginia Tech. Both recipients have demonstrated outstanding contributions to the field of advertising and marketing in the past year and AAF Roanoke congratulates each for the work they both do.
The full slate of American Advertising Award winners includes:
- Virginia Tech for Eastern Divide Brewing Co. Labels, Gold
- Art in Situ for RESILIENCE: CHIP-RV Annual Report, Silver
- Radford University for Radford University Brand Guide , Gold
- Anstey Hodge Advertising Group for The Hawthorne Groundbreaking Event, Silver
- Anstey Hodge Advertising Group for Framatome Speakeasy Event, Gold
- Anstey Hodge Advertising Group for Framatome Speakeasy Box Invite, Gold
- Virginia Tech Dining Services for Isolation Dorm Encouragement Cards, Silver
- Anstey Hodge Advertising Group for Hang 10 Hawaiian Ice & Cream Exterior Sign, Silver
- 5Points Creative for Gregory Pallet & Lumber Website, Gold
- Anstey Hodge Advertising Group for Hang 10 Website, Silver
- Virginia Tech Dining Services for Behind The Mask, Gold
- Carilion Clinic for 2019 Report to the Community Carilion, Silver
- Cry for Mass Mutual | Healthbridge, Silver
- Red Velocity Inc. for Heart Ball 2020, Silver
- Cry for Virginia Energy Sense 2020 Jack How-Tos, Silver
- Virginia Tech Dining Services for Breadcrumbs, Silver
- Carilion Clinic for Carilion Hospice – Jack Dudley, Silver
- 5Points Creative for That’s Our Normal, Silver
- Carilion Clinic for Ortho Like No Other Campaign, Gold
- Carilion Clinic for Mask Campaign, Silver
- Joba Studio for Athlete Initial Private Offering (AIPO), Silver
- AAF Roanoke for Flux Capacitor Award Carrier, Gold
- AAF Roanoke for Back To the Future of Advertising, Silver
- Pratt Industries – Roanoke for We are in this together!, Silver
- Virginia Tech Dining Services for Blend logo, Silver
- Virginia Tech for Eastern Divide Brewing Company Illustrations, Gold
- Virginia Tech Dining Services for Curate meal, Gold
- Virginia Tech Dining Services for Chili Challenge animation, Gold
- M3:GRAFIX for BOSS – Logo Open, Gold
- Uncork-it, Inc. for As You Sow Interactive Gather Space, Silver
- Anstey Hodge Advertising Group for Socially Distanced Logo Banner, Silver
- Virginia Tech for AIGA Get Out the Vote: To not speak is to speak., Gold
- Roanoke Regional Partnership/ Get2KnowNoke for The Playbook Event Program, Gold
All gold awards will be submitted to AAF District 3 for further competition.
The best of student work was also honored at the event.
Student Best of Show:
- Austin Marcus Greene from Radford University for Paula Scher Homage.
Student Judges Choice Awards:
- Adam Harris from Liberty University for Silver Pig BBQ Stationary Package
- Lauren Renee Slough from Radford University, for Slough Portfolio Artbook
- Kelly Wiegand from Virginia Tech for Reykjavík 2032 Olympics Logo
Other student awards include:
- Brooke Gorman, Radford University for Olive Garden, Gold
- Adam Harris, Liberty University for Silver Pig BBQ Stationary Package, Gold
- Lauren Renee Slough Radford University for Slough Portfolio Artbook, Silver
- Reagan Adams, Virginia Tech for A Taste of Astrology, Silver
- Sydney Morris, Liberty University for A Book About Lynchburg, Silver
- Madison Richmond, Virginia Caravas, Liberty University for Vans Conceptual Ad Series, Gold
- Austin Marcus Greene, Radford University for Paula Scher Homage, Gold
- Madison Fogarty, Sydney Rabe, Olivia Smith, Heather Birkeland, Landon Brower, Kirstin Burgard, Liberty University for Traffic Jams, Gold
- Sarah Schaffer, Virginia Tech for The Art of Glassblowing, Gold
- Mackensie Hessler, Virginia Tech for Your Vote Matters, Gold
- Madison Fogarty, Sydney Rabe, Olivia Smith, Landon Brower, Heather Birkeland, Kirsten Burgard, Liberty University for One Stop Spot, Silver
- Nerissa Baroni, Virginia Tech for Cape Town Summer Olympics 2032, Gold
- Brooke Gorman, Radford University for Krueger & Toll, Gold
- Nerissa Baroni, Virginia Tech for Walkabout Outfitters Rebrand, Silver
- Lauren Renee Slough, Radford University for Mutt Brewing Co., Silver
- Charlotte Cannon, Mackensie Hessler, Megan Monroe, Rebecca Miller, Alison Monahan, Victoria Trompak , Lucille Reyes, Laila Houser, Savannah Meredith, Hanna Kron, Virginia Tech for VT PRISM 2020 Recruitment Campaign, Silver
- Ethan Candelario, Virginia Tech for Cabo Fish Taco Brand Identity, Silver
- Julia Schneider, Liberty University for Cutó Gelato Co., Silver
- Kelly Wiegand, Virginia Tech for Reykjavík 2032 Olympics Logo, Silver
- Abby Conrad, Virginia Tech for Bear Hugs Doughnuts, Silver
- Justin Creasy, Radford University for Creativity in the Wild, Silver
Congratulations to all of this year’s winners.
Full gallery of winners can be found at https://aafroanoke.org/award-winners/
Each of the professional winners will be featured on billboards throughout the region for the next two weeks, thanks to Lamar Advertising of Roanoke.