COLUMBIA, SC – District Three of the American Advertising Federation announced the American Advertising Award winners on April 1, 2017, recognizing work in the industries of advertising, marketing, public relations, photography, graphic design and related fields from agencies, businesses and individuals doing business in Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina as well as college students studying for those related fields. This year’s judging also saw the participation of the Richmond Ad Club for the first time in many years.
Judging took place in Columbia, SC. The three out-of-market judges were:
- Sam Borowy, Associate Creative Director, idfive, Baltimore, MD
- Bob Knorpp, Host, The BeanCast Marketing Podcast, New York City, New York
- Jessica Stanford, Graphic Design Coordinator, University Health Care System, Augusta GA
Judges chose winners from approximately 200 professional entries and nearly 100 student entries including online, electronic device application, broadcast and print entries. Of those entries, 15 Gold ADDY® Awards and 27 Silver ADDY® Awards were presented to professionals, 7 Gold and 13 Silver ADDY® Awards were presented to students. Entries were judged by a 3-judge panel for their creativity, originality and strategy.
The following entries won the District 3 American Advertising Awards top honors:
- HMH Agency of Charlotte, North Carolina of AAF Charlotte merited Best of Show Honors “Savannah Airport Takeover”.
- Virginia Commonwealth University Student Jay Adams of AAF Hampton Roads merited Best of Show Student Honors for her “Sweet & Low Companion”.
- A Special Judges Award went to BooneOakley of Charlotte, NC of AAF Charlotte for “HB2 U, Pat”.
Following is a complete list of the AAF Roanoke District 3 American Advertising Award winners:
- Gold ADDY® Award for “My Daddy’s Grass Album Cover” by Boyd Pearman Photography (Photography, Color)
- Silver ADDY® Award for “CT Rolling of the Bulls” by Access (Illustration)
- Silver ADDY® Award for “Happy Holidays Set” by Virginia Tech (Card, Invitation or Announcement Campaign)
- Silver ADDY® Award for “Bon Secours Branding Launch” by BOSS Motion Picture Company (Cinematography)
- Student Gold ADDY® Award for “Koze” by Shannon LeBlanc from Liberty University (Point of Purchase)
- Student Gold ADDY® Award for “Don’t Let Them Fade Away” by Shawna Hession from Radford University (Illustration – Campaign)
- Student Silver ADDY® Award for “UNCOVER” by Chloe Kim from Liberty University (Poster Campaign)
- Student Silver ADDY® Award for “Collect 200 | A Museum Exhibition” by Hannah Pinkie from Liberty University (Single Occurrence or Installation)
- Student Silver ADDY® Award for “Why So Cereal?” by Ji Su Lee from Liberty University (Packaging)
- Student Silver ADDY® Award for “AHA!” by Ji Su Lee from Liberty University (Point of Purchase)
- Student Silver ADDY® Award for “Objectification” by Hannah Lynch from Liberty University (Outdoor & Transit Advertising Campaign)
- Student Silver ADDY® Award for “Mug Hard: Holiday Collection” by Dakota Stanford from Radford University (Packaging)
For a full list of District 3 American Advertising Award winners, please visit: http://aafdistrict3.org/news/2017-district-3-american-advertising-award-winners-announced/
The American Advertising Awards is the advertising industry’s largest and most representative competition for creative excellence. The three-tier national competition is conducted annually by the American Advertising Federation, advertising’s largest industry association and the only one to represent the interests of all facets of advertising: advertisers, agencies, suppliers and media. The AAF is based in Washington, D.C. and has more than 40,000 members through 200 local advertising clubs. For more information, visit aaf.org.